For the past week and a half I’ve had my hands occupied with our new baby girl, and it was suggested that I start a blog to share info about our new life together. So here we go...
Colby Mackenna was born Oct. 16th at 1:36 pm (which also happens to be Bryan’s birthday, and afterwards we found out he was born at 1:35 pm… only one minute off, how cool is that!?!). She weighed 7 lbs. 13 oz. and was 20 ¾ inches long.
Some details about the labor & delivery...
I went in on Wednesday night to be induced, but they only gave me something to help me dilate and weren’t going to induce until the morning, but that was all that was needed. I took a sleeping pill around 11, and woke up about ½ an hour later with severe back pain. Because I was so out of it from the sleeping pill, and was in such back pain, after about 4 hours of the pain I got the epidural (which I really wanted to avoid). By 6 am I was fully dilated, but didn’t start pushing until the midwife came back on shift after 8. After 3 ½ hours of pushing they decided that the head wasn’t fitting and the baby was “failing to progress,” so I was told they wouldn’t let me push any longer and they were going to do a C-section. Because my epidural wasn’t completely effective, they had to take it out and do a spinal on top of it. During the c-section I felt very sick and was having trouble breathing, and threw up twice during the surgery (once before and once after she came out… in addition to about 4 times throughout the labor and pushing). I was coherent enough to hear them say it was a girl, and that was about it until
We've now had her home for over a week, and despite several challenges (nursing, crying, and sleeping), we sure do love our little girl!
Yay for a Baby Colby blog! I'm excited to see your updates on how she is growing and changing and how you are handling it all.
ReplyDelete